JCO Journal of Clinical Orthodontics
Archive Subscribe Marketplace Forum Continuing Education Product News Classifieds Contact Us Login
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Seizure triggers Options · View
drt@drtaddeo.com
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:13:33 AM

Groups: Member

Has anyone heard of fixed appliances eliciting epileptic seizures? Pt had been seizure free for several years until immediately after MARA (Not advanced) and fixed appliance placement.
WendyO@jco-online.com
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 11:31:59 AM
Groups: Administration, Member

(Posted on behalf of)JCO Contributing Editor Jeff Berger:
I have not seen this or any other adverse reaction after cementing several hundred MARA appliances. Perhaps, if you have not done so already, you should contact Jim Eckart. The only other people that I can think of are Dr. Gene Simon in Ohio and Dr. Toll. Other than that you might want to speak with Max Hall from OAO Labs - I have found him to be very helpful in the past and he has a wealth of knowledge with the MARA appliance. He might also be a good source for their main MARA customers worldwide.

Please keep me in the loop as I would be very interested to learn from this experience. Do you know if the patient has had any prior medical problems or was a high anxiety patient?

Jeff Berger
drjeff.berger@gmail.com
drt@drtaddeo.com
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:39:32 AM

Groups: Member

Thanks for the reply. The patient is non anxious and tolerated all appointments well. I think that the timing was coincidental, but wanted to be sure. I will contact AOA as you suggest. The parent thinks the resulting diet change after placement may have something to do with the problem. She would not eat much and had been on a fairly strict diet. Thanks!