JCO Journal of Clinical Orthodontics
Archive Subscribe Marketplace Forum Continuing Education Product News Classifieds Contact Us Login
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Employee 10-year anniversary Options · View
Kimberly Foushee
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 11:07:00 AM
Groups: Guest (Please Log In)

I have an employee who will be celebrating 10 years with me in September. I have been in practice 12 years, so it's my first one to reach this benchmark. What gift ideas do any of you have?
Ron Redmond DDS
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2004 12:38:00 AM

I have been in practice a little longer...34 years...but I established this employee benefit policy earlier. I pay $1,000 toward a trip or family vacation. The employee books the trip, and I use my credit card to help with the cost. At 20 years I double the amount to $2,000. I do not contribute at five years or 15 years. Do what you think is fair and commensurate with your practice. I do believe that employees deserve the recognition.
Ron Redmond
Anne Sanchez
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 1:30:00 PM

I have been in single practice for 17 years. At 10 years, I give my employees a trip for two to Hawaii. At 15 years, it is a little smaller, an all-inclusive trip for two to Cancun. I don't know what to do for 20 years. I want it to be spectacular! It is very good PR in our community.
Anne Sanchez
Ron Redmond DDS
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 5:33:00 AM

I recently heard of a practice that uses an unusual form of 20-year employee recognition. The practice "rents" the employee's home for a gala celebration. All her friends and professional "family" are invited. The practice caters the event, and in addition, pays the employee handsomely for renting her home. Where else could you have such a wonderful celebration? So the "rent" is unusually high. The good news: 1) The gala event will be remembered in the community for years, 2) the rent is deductible to the practice (I assume a corporation), and 3) the rent is excluded from the employee's income for tax purposes. We all have the ability to rent our home, or vacation home, for up to two weeks each year, and receive the income tax-free. Now, that's what I call a 20-year anniversary gift!
Ron Redmond, DDS, MS