JCO Journal of Clinical Orthodontics
Archive Subscribe Marketplace Forum Continuing Education Product News Classifieds Contact Us Login
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inclined plane Options · View
laelbanner@bannerfamilydental.com
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2007 5:05:04 PM

Groups: Member

I am trying to jump an anterior crossbite and would like to utilize an inclined plane. Can someone direct me where to find a picture of one or describe how to make one, please?
Thank you,
Lael
ronredmond@orthodontist.com
Posted: Sunday, September 9, 2007 4:44:48 AM

Groups: Administration

Hi Lael,
Anterior x-bites come in a lot of varieties that require different approaches to treatment. I prefer a fixed appliance, usually posterior composite bonded to the opposite arch to prevent the tooth from closing into a x-bite position. For example, x-bite of #8 can be treated with composite bonded to the lingual of the lower central incisors to present a flat surface (table) to #8 on closure. The composite is shaped to present a flat surface at the level of the incisal edge of the lower incisors. I do not recommend this technique unless the upper and lower incisors have orthodontic appliances in place and archwires present to provide stability. Once #8 cannot "lock" behind the lower incisors, the archwire can easily move it out of x-bite. Of course, different forms of x-bite are handled with composite bonded appropriately.
Good luck,
Ron Redmond DDS
jmailankody@gmail.com
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 10:18:13 AM

Groups: Member

Hullo Lael,
A good reference I can recommend you is Fig.133 and 134 at page 197-98 in the Textbook entitled "Orthodontics for Dental Students" by Gardiner, Leighton, Luffingham and Valiathan, 4th edition published by Oxford University Press. It gives the basic and simple design and there is a good text on its clinical application.
I am sure you would find it very useful.
Regards,
Jayaram Mailankody