JCO Journal of Clinical Orthodontics
Archive Subscribe Marketplace Forum Continuing Education Product News Classifieds Contact Us Login
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Fees: Phase I - Phase II vs. full case Options · View
Foushee
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 5:04:00 PM
Groups: Guest (Please Log In)

My team has recently raised questions they've heard from our patients regarding the benefits of Phase I fee then Phase II fee vs. waiting and only incurring a full case fee. What responses do your offices offer?
Donald George
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 11:35:00 AM

Hello Dr. Foushee,
My office also does Phase I and Phase II. I guess that you must sincerely justify clinical treatment early in order to prevent more serious skeletal or dental problems later on. Then you can look the parents in the eye and explain the need for the additional expense. It is not about the money from our end.
Ron Redmond DDS
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 12:46:00 PM

Dear Drs. George and Foushee:
Another area to consider is the impact of insurance coverage related to first and second phases. In my area, and I suspect yours also, insurance companies are reluctant to cover the first phase, and if they do, it usually is a rather insignificant amount. We use the concept of "comprehensive treatment" to encompass the first and second phases, and we allow the parents to pay over a 36-42-month period. The insurance doesn't understand what comprehensive is, and they pay the way they normally would. It is a tremendous benefit to the parents and allows the orthodontist a great deal more flexibility during treatment. Martin "Bud" Schulman initiated this concept approximately 10 years ago, and although not widely used, it should be remembered for the time when it can be of value.
Sincerely,
Ron Redmond