JCO Journal of Clinical Orthodontics
Archive Subscribe Marketplace Forum Continuing Education Product News Classifieds Contact Us Login
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Bite turbos Options · View
G. Nahirney
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 12:55:00 AM
Groups: Guest (Please Log In)

I have recently heard of a bite turbo that can be used to open the bite in deep-bite cases.
This prevents the brackets from intefering with the occlusion until the posterior teeth erupt into a better relationship.
Has anyone ever used this technique, and how is it done?
Ron Redmond DDS
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 2:18:00 AM

Hi Dr. Nahirney,
I use bite turbos frequently, especially as an aid in opening the bite, or preventing bracket interference in a deep-bite case. I also have used them on the lingual of one of the maxillary cuspids when there is a unilateral deep bite resulting in a canted smile line that is not skeletally based.
Bite turbos are sold by Ormco and can be bonded to the lingual of the upper incisors. This greatly simplifies the construction project. If you are feeling a little more energetic, then you can use posterior composite and bond it to the lingual of the upper incisor (right or left). I form it to the cingulum of the maxillary incisor and produce a flat plane for the lower incisors to occlude on during closure. If you want a slight repositioning of the mandible, then reshape the flat plane to slant in the desired direction of repositioning.
Another use for bite turbos is in the pseudo-Class III. By placing a bite turbo on the lingual of the lower central incisors, the functional shift of the mandible during closure can be prevented, and the pseudo-Class III will be easier to correct.
If you would like some photos of bite turbos, please contact me directly ( ronredmond@orthodontist.com ), and I will e-mail them to you.
Good luck!
Menachem Roth
Posted: Wednesday, March 8, 2006 10:31:00 PM

Two additional possibilities for bite turbos include using a "mini mold" kit, which contains a specific mold to fill with composite and then bond to the lingual of the upper centrals.
A second option is a custom-fabricated bite turbo, which I believe is made of acrylic (I think it is the same stuff that lab-fabricated temporary crowns are made from), not composite, which are made at the lab. I can get the name of the lab for you if you like.
I have heard of others using a lingual bracket and then covering it with composite as well, although I have never done this.
aidan@gotadsl.co.uk
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 11:11:17 AM

Groups: Member

Hi there. I have been using mini-mould composite bite turbos for increased overbite cases for a while, but have recently stopped after I noticed significant enamel wear affecting the lower incisal edges. Moreover, I have even seen incisal tie-wings worn completely through on metal brackets. This is just using a normal restorative composite.

I have never used the prefabricated metal bite turbos, but wonder if these are less destructive?

Dr Aidan McKeever